Friday, November 11, 2011

Summary of Oct. 22nd Letter

Thank you so much for your letters and your prayers- I know that the Lord is watching over me partly because of your prayers on my behalf.  My companion, Sister Kranendonk, is from Salt Lake City and is 5'8" and has Auburnish Red Hair, She is gorgeous! We already have plans to do things after the mission together- she like to hike so we want to do Zions and the St. George Temple together when we get back!! For exercise we job in the gym at the MTC. I think that we can jog outside on campus- but my comp prefers the track in the gym, so that's what we do.  It is hard though to get a good workout though because our district gym times are scheduled right after breakfast lunch or dinner!! So we are always full when we go to work out.  I have gone to the temple! And I am going again with my district today! I'm so excited!!! The temple is so wonderful in this time of stress and mix of emotion- i picks me up and keeps my mind clear and uncluttered from stress!! I would love to have the opportunity to ask any question in the temple with a general authority, although I don't feel I'll haven't hat opportunity at least here in the MTC- there are thousand of missionaries here.  But I have thought of some questions just in case!!
Guess who came and spoke at the devotional that we just had? Elder Richard G. Scott! The spirit in the room could almost be cut with a knife, it was that tangible! He talked a lot about sister missionaries and told the Elders to watch us and teach like us.  Elder Scott also talked a lot about writing down impressions that we receive and keeping them with us always so that we can reflect on them in time of need- he is really big on that.  He then expressed love for all of us in such a way that not one person could deny the beautiful feeling they felt of deep overwhelming love- WONDERFUL!!!
Teaching investigators here is so awesome! We have TRC's these are people that come and are either new coverts living their life before they were converted and role play with us.  Some of the TRC's actually real investigators.   We role played it out exactly like we would if we were knocking on an investigators door.
Sister K and I got to teach Lawanna, her story blows me away.  She grew up on the streets and buried her own mom- she grew up in a house where her mom sold drugs and she never knew her father.  Lawanna soled drugs and was living with someone.  She was in and out of foster homes until age 15 when she ran away.  The missionaries met her right after she buried her mom.  She is a member of the church now and has still dealt with adversity- her sister committed suicide, she feel away, but realized she wasn't happy and came back to the church and has been strong ever since.  We have had an opportunity to be her friend and show her that we really care about her, love her and are praying for her.  The meant a lot to her because she has never been loved and cared for or given hugs or anything in her past and she is just now learning to say I Love You and give hugs and depend on others. She said the first people that ever showed her true love were the missionaries that helped convert her.  She said she was receptive because they were so patient and loving and never gave up on her.  Through the role plays with Lawanna we have been inspired to teach her lessons that the Lord wants her to hear, to help her truly understand the Atonement and the Love of our Heavenly Father.  We have a deep connection with here and have exchanged information so we can keep in touch with her.  Missionaries are not just for investigators but for members too!! I have felt Gods love for his children over and over in the MTC.  I have especially felt Gods love for me here it is amazing that as many times as I have gotten down on myself in feeling so inadequate because of the Lord showing me my weaknesses- He also always builds me up and lets me know he is proud of me and lets me feel joy in the work I am doing my best to do for Him.
Sister Rosenvall, my instructor, is my role model!! I want so badly to be liker her and teach with the power and conviction that she does!! One days he pulled Sister K and I into a room and just let us know how proud she was of us.  She told us that we were doing amazing as missionaries and that all the teachers here in the MTC that have heard Sister K and I teach say that we teach as though we are already return missionaries. She said that is the first time she has ever heard that said about missionaries in the MTC!  I leave the MTC on November 1st at 5 am! I start a full week of visitors center training on Wednesday!!
I Love You All!! I am so happy, this gospel is true and saves lives- it is saving me!!

Love Sister Shurtz

No comments:

Post a Comment