Friday, January 18, 2013


HEYA!
Sister Shurtz here.... Haha
Well things are going pretty well here in the East Mesa stake. I am getting so excited for Christmas Lights again! WOOT! They are so beautiful! Wish you could see them. I like them better than Salt Lakes even.. probably because I'm partial to Mesa since it's my mission! But also because they are like really blingy haha the temple grounds are really small and so there is not much space to put the lights. They have lots of them though so they are just a lot squished into a smaller area. Whereas in SLC they have them more spead out and such. Plus the lights here are more bright and fun and colorful although I guess the ones on Temple Square in SL are more elegant. Anyway.. it's fun to have the lights up! Neither of my companions have been here during Christmas lights so it's fun to be with them! 
We just got done practicing some songs with Sister Beckstrand for our little Choir. We will be singing for a few minutes on Christmas day. Sister Michelle Baer came to the VC today to give our little choir some tips on how to make it sound better and how to sing in general. I really enjoyed it. She is amazing. She sang "Where can I turn for peace?" to us and it was incredible. She puts so much feeling and emotion into her voice. I almost wanted to cry just watching her and listening to her. I felt the spirit so strong. She has a few CDs out. You can buy the one with "where can I turn for peace" on it at Deseret Book she said. Also she has three other CDs she said that you can buy her songs on itunes too. Just so you know!
Welll things are going really great in our area. We still don't have very many people to teach but we also don't have much time either so it works out. I have been praying to get more investigators and find the prepared. I wanted to share a neat answer to that prayer that I prayed. I remember asking for the Lord to help me know what to do to find the prepared people to teach. I know that we are always supposed to be focused on finding no matter how many investigators we have. Which we don't have very many.. anyway so as I asked the Lord to help me know what to do to find. I felt like I needed to just be patient and continue to do what I am doing. Talk to everyone. Ask for referrals from EVERYONE, and be EXACTly obedient. Then I remembered a talk in conference talking about helping those that need to be lifted 'one by one'. I felt strongly that I was going to get it one at a time. I was going to help prepared people in this area one by one. The Lord knows that we have little to no time in our area. He knows that we are doing our best to use His time effectively and He knows that we are striving to be worthy to receive the prepared children. He has asked me to be happy and sufficient in helping his prepared children one by one in this effort at this time. I don't know why, but I am grateful for that confirmation. I also felt that I was being an instrument in bringing MANY to the truth through the wonderful tools and spirit at the Visitor Center. I am gaining a strong testimony of the power of Visitor Centers. They are amazing. They truly are dedicated bldgs and there is a power there. I love serving there. The tools we can use to teach and illustrate our testimony of Christ and the BOM ect. are so perfect. I love teaching there! I love to see people feel the spirit and have a change of heart. I love to teach! I love to learn! I believe it was Elder Holland who said that the spirit that can be felt in the Visitor Center is second only to the temple and the Sacrament hall. I have seen miracles daily there. I am finding that at the Visitor Center you get out of your day what you are willing to put into it. It is so easy to just sit there and not have an effective eventful day. Its easy to not talk to or 'interrupt' the people that come into the VC. It's easy to just keep to yourself or talk to the other Sister or senior couples and waste time rather than seeking to talk to everyone that comes in and finding those who have questions or could use your help or testimony. If I pray for an experience to help someone while I am there, I always get one.
   Jesus (Haysoos) is ready for baptism. We took him to two baptismal services last week. He is sooo pure in heart! Such a great kid. I am so impressed with him. He has incredible fellowshippers. His baptism is still set for Dec. 1st 2012 at 2 pm. His birthday was this Sunday. He turned 22. He chose to go to church and meet with us rather than go on a road trip with family and friends for his birthday because he knew that he needed to be at church and he knew they would be partying and drinking etc. He said, I don't wanna do stuff like that. I don't even want to be around it! I am so impressed with him. 
Mark Devine... I don't think we'll end up meeting with him. He keeps saying he's ready to do all this and wants it but then flakes out and never shows up for appts or church or anything. I know the Lord will keep working on him. 
We have an amazing YSA WML. I am so impressed with his willingness and dedication to his calling. He is so on top of things and so ready to jump at our slightest suggestion. I know that much of the success that we are having in our YSA ward is largely because of him. I am so grateful to be working with great ward leaders. His name is Jared Despain. 
We are now teaching Heather Payne in the 30th ward. She is a prepared one! Her husband is an inactive member that wants to come back. She knows a lot and has come to church for the past two weeks. She has great member support and is SOOO so sweet. I love her already. She has a 4 year old daughter that means the world to her! She has lots of real intent. She really wants to know if this is true. 
I want to stay here forever! Being a missionary is too good. It's so great. I don't want to think about having to go home and 'be' the person I'm trying to become. Thats the scary part of all this. That's why I want to make sure I have really changed my heart. 

I want you all to know that I am sure and have no doubt or wonder but rather, I Know that Jesus is the Christ. He has redeemed all mankind from the fall. We are His children. He loves us perfectly. We cannot make it back to God without relying upon the Atonement and mercy of Christ. God is our Father. He wants us to come back to live with Him. Christ lives. We will see our loved ones again. Joseph Smith is the prophet of the restoration of this great and perfect Church. Thomas S Monson is the prophet. He speaks with God. I love this gospel with all my heart. 
Thank you THANK you THANK YOU! for all your love prayers and support and love! 
I am so thankful for all of you! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
May turkey and stuffing fill your bellies and Thanks fill your hearts! awwww ;)
~Sister Shurtz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment